Saturday, April 2, 2016

Autism Awareness Day

EB's autism diagnosis is new for us but yet it explains so much.  With autism presenting differently in girls and the new diagnosis standards explains why she received a diagnosis at 13.  Would it have changed anything had we received a diagnosis at 2 or 3, I don't think so.   Looking back were there signs since the time she was born, yes such as her wanting to spin for 90 minutes in her exersaucer and laughing, her struggles with noises and change.  The list goes on and on.  I have had a hard time putting into words how I feel about the actual word -- Autism.  I feel loss and I feel hope.  I feel we are not alone but yet so alone.  I feel thankful that she is such a happy girl and thankful she is ours and we can be there for her and fight for her.  I am thankful to all those that support her -- it is because of her that we see such kindness in the world and such support.

As I am still struggling immensely with knowing her life is and will be different and filled with more struggles than another child and yet more joy and awesomeness than I could I could imagine I still do not have the words to express what it means and how it has "changed" everything.


I love you so much EB and am excited to see the wonderful things life holds for you.

I saw this post on FB and I am not sure I could have said it any better.

So today we light it up blue for Autism Awareness. One in 68 boys are diagnosed with autism and our son is one of those boys, but do not be mistaken - he is not a statistic, he is a warrior fighting his way to the success in this world we live in. He is strong, bright, and he is compassionate. He never gives up and never stops tackling the battles he faces on a daily basis. He is perfect and we would never change a thing about him, but we do wish he did not have to struggle . We wish he was not at times overcome by social situations , that he was not fearful of the world around him. We wish he was fully accepted by his peers when maybe his mannerisms or behavior are a bit different than others. We wish the road he walked was simply not as bumpy and challenging for him, but because of his struggles he has become stronger than most. His shoes are worn and his armor is tattered so very early in his life, but they fit him well. He is part of an army of kids walking the path of Autism- smart, compassionate and loving kids. Some kids have armor that is worn like Christian's ,others have armor that is even more tattered and worn, and some kids have new shiny armor and clean shoes - just beginning this journey. Regardless of where they are in the journey, these kids are strong. These kids are amazing. These kids will succeed and make up a large percentage of our population. Look around you -I bet you can count a few or maybe many kids you know that are living with Autism. Be compassionate, teach your kids and family acceptance and tolerance. Recognize the amazing gifts these kids bring to our society and watch and support them in conquering this world.

EB made these pictures for Autism Awareness Day.  





No comments: