Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fisher -- Notes from Peter

I am loving all the updates from Peter! We have only had email the past few days but from that I got lots of information.

Monday night

So, Fisher's sleeping and I can barely grab some wifi from here on the
4th floor. Earlier tonight, Fisher discovered the video feature of
his iTouch. He kept taking video of the person at the desk and her
daughter. He was cackling, such a joker. Then they turned the tables
on him and videoed him. They're all saved (so far) so we should have
some interesting video when we get home.

Speaking of Jokers, we went to go downstairs earlier and he went ahead
of me, opened the outer door to the living room and left it ajar. I
stayed behind to get some supplies. I went into the sitting room, No
Fisher. So I headed downstairs muttering about not waiting for me and
he jumps out from behind the couch laughing with glee.

All day long, I could barely pull the iTouch out of his
hands. Then, late, afternoon, I finally get him to go outside to kick
the soccer ball around. One of the guards joined in (thank God). We
played for an hour, at least. It felt like 2. Even though I was
totally worn out, I was not going to be the one who called it,
Fortunately, it was dinner time, so I said we had to go in a wash.
After washing (and a comfort break for Fisher) he went over to the toy
suitcase and pointed. I said "what?" and he said "ball." You're
killing me, kid. I told him we needed to eat. He wasn't happy about
it, but as soon as the food was in front of him, he polished off an
entire plate of tibs and rice (sans vegetables) and 2 bottles of
water. When we got back to the room, he didn't say "ball" again. He
took off his shoes (a sign he's tired, I've learned). I got him into
jammies instead of the jeans he slept in last night. He crawled into
bed and 5 minutes later, he was out.

Tuesday

This morning, Fisher Weyesa and I had breakfast then played some
frisbee, then some soccer with two men. They were good, they
practiced hard with him (and showed off some) while I mostly watched!

We left with Alazar to go shopping at 9:30 this morning. Fisher came
with us, and we saw at least 2 other families form the Yebsabi (other
agencies) there with their children. It was no problem at all.
Everyone was very nice to Fisher and there were no second looks at
all. One man (after a particularly tough negotiation) even gave him a
small necklace. It was a little rainy, but no big deal.
He's wearing the mini boden hoodie, so he put the hood up.

We came back and I packed a little for our trip. He and I packed his backpack for
the "aeroplan." He understood we were packing for the airplane trip.
He is anxious to go. After I zipped up his backpack, he said
"aeroplan, let's go!"

On day 3, Fisher remains very sweet, kind and funny. He also seemed
somewhat alarmed when I got out of Alazar's car to exchange money at
the Yebsabi with him still strapped in. I came immediately back, said
it's OK and Alazar told him I'd be right back. Fisher asked for water
and I told him we would share the big bottle we had brought. He's
also started to be more talkative with me, trying more English-- he's
really good at it. It won't take any time at all for him to learn.

No comments: